À Table: Urdhva Dhanurasana

Photo: Bob Sandberg, “Untitled (Salvador Dalí using a model as a desk), 1947”

Leave it to Salvador Dalí* to come up with a surreal use for urdhva dhanurasana. If you’re looking for a new desk, might I suggest some of these yoga events happening this weekend? You’ll definitely find yogis there with beautiful backbend practices ;)

If you’d rather take your urdhva to the park, unroll your mat in the jardin du Luxembourg! While la météo is calling for a 20% chance of rain on Sunday, let’s focus instead on the 80% chance of no rain. Also outdoors is free yoga thanks to Wanderlust Paris and Lolë Paris. It takes place on the terrace of Les Docks/Cité de la Mode et du Design.

If urdhva dhanurasana is not your favorite pose because of discomfort, have you tried doing it with blocks at the wall? With a rolled up blanket at the wall? How about by holding someone’s ankles? All three of those variations are great for those days when urdhva feels out of reach.

* If you’re a Dalí completist, you might want to check out Espace Dalí in Montmartre. It’s the only gallery in France devoted entirely to the artist’s work. While their collection doesn’t exactly rival the Fundació Gala-Salvador Dalí’s in Spain or MoMA’s in New York, it is fun to look at the furniture and objets d’art he designed.

/