It’s time to start thinking about taking your yoga practice “hors les murs”!
• This Sunday 27 May, head to the Parc de la Villette for a free Mandala Yoga Orkestra class with Nathaly Jimenez. Roll your mat out in front of the Géode and practice from 12h-14h surrounded by greenery and Bernard Tschumi’s cherry-red architecture. M° Porte de Pantin, Porte de la Villette
• Normally the grass at the Jardin du Luxembourg is off-limits, but every Sunday through 30 September, you can do yoga for free on the lawn in front of Sénat without getting shooed away by the gendarmes! This 45-minute class will be taught by different Méthode DeRose Rive Gauche teachers, and will include asana as well as pranayama. 12h. M° Odéon, RER Luxembourg
• Shy about going solo? Join the Yogis & Yoginis of Paris Meetup group! During the summer months, this loose-knit group of nearly 200 Paris-based yogis regularly organizes free yoga classes in the Parc du Ranelagh in the 16e arrondissement. They also bring yogis and yoginis together by arranging potluck dinners, exploring new studios, and reading and discussing books.
• Outside and inside their atelier, Lolë Paris hosts free yoga classes year-round. During the warmer months, Lolë takes advantage of nice weather by leading their practices in the sunshine. The variety of styles they offer is pretty incredible -- from Ashtanga to Vinyasa to Yoga Hula Hoop! -- and registering is as easy as Liking their Facebook page and scrolling through their Events.
This summer, Lolë is collaborating with Wanderlust Paris to host free yoga on the terrace of the newly opened Cité de la Mode et du Design. The first class kicks off Sunday 6 June from 11h-12h30. Register on Lolë’s Facebook event page.
• Thursday 21 June is La Fête de la Musique*, a solstice celebration that has been taking place every year since 1982. Music fills Paris all day and most of the night, and this fun event is yet another occasion to indulge in free yoga outdoors! Grab a picnic and your yoga mat and point yourself toward Square Saint Lambert in the 15e arrondissement for a 1.5-hour class led by YOGAttitude’s Pascale Albrieux. 17h30. M° Félix Faure, Commerce, Vaugirard
• Don’t forget to register for the 2012 edition of White Yoga Session which will take place at the end of the summer (date yet to be released.) Last year’s event was an enormous success, and even though it was free, it sold out! Click on the orange “Pré-inscription” button to guarantee your spot this time around.
* If you’ve never experienced La Fête de la Musique, it helps to plan ahead. To choose your adventure based on arrondissements, click here. To organize your day around your musical predilections, click here to search by genres. By the way, this year’s Fête celebrates the 50th anniversary of The Beatles’ 1962 release of “Love Me Do,” so in addition to emphasizing pop music, the Fête will also include other 1962-related happenings such as expos, retrospectives and films.