The rumors are true: Paris is deserted in August! For visitors accustomed to crowds in the capital, the quieter streets can be a breath of fresh air. Many Parisians also enjoy the slower pace, taking advantage of the yearly shut-down to fall back in love with their city. And while some believe that Paris is better without Parisians (quoi????), everyone can agree that if you want to find a seat on the métro, try a hyped restaurant (provided it isn’t closed) or picnic on the Canal St Martin without having to construct your own personal Maginot Line, August is pretty great.
These fermetures annuelles are a challenge; if you haven’t spent the last 11 months researching alternative boulangeries in your neighborhood, for example, you will feel completely defeated -- and increasingly hungry -- as you explore new frontiers in your quest for sustenance.
The same is true for yoga in Paris in August. Many studios close their doors, and many teachers go on holiday. The studios that do remain open offer a reduced schedule of classes, as well as fewer workshops and special events. For yogis, August is an opportunity to become a little more self-directed, and practice at home. Working at your own pace, doing the asanas that your body craves, refining a particular pose… all are terrific ways to tailor your practice to your unique needs.
For those yogis still yearning for the energetic boost of a public yoga class, make sure you check the studio’s schedule before leaving your apartment! For even more ideas, don’t forget to consult Yogateau’s Studios in Paris section.
Where to do yoga in Paris in August—2013 Edition
• From 3-18 August, Ashtanga Yoga Paris’s classes will be taught by graduates of their training program! Classes are 5-8€ each, or 25-30€ per week. Support new teachers and get a deal in the process.
• Beyoga is offering an abbreviated schedule of classes, Monday-Friday, with resumption of their full schedule on 2 September.
• Big Apple Yoga France’s schedule from 23-31 August features an average of twice daily classes.
• You can take one of three daily classes (one of them in English) at Bikram Yoga Rive Gauche, from 1-25 August.
• For Iyengar yoga, try Centre Anjaliom. Their schedule is divided into two parts: 4-9 August, and 10 August-1 September.
• August is a great time to study with Michelle, the owner of Centre de Yoga du Marais. She’s teaching each of the four weekly classes through 1 September.
• Centre Sivananda has many classes of various levels in August, permitting the adventurous yogi to try different intensities.
• Emilie takes over Espace Nataraja with classes three times a week. Reservations required.
• The Summer schedule at Espace Sattva is reduced, but the savings are interesting: three price points, from 10€ to 16€, depending on whether or not you’re an exisiting or new student.
• There are a lot of options to choose from at Gaya Yoga from 27 July to 23 August.
• Even with a few mid-week closures, Himayoga’s August schedule includes daily all levels classes.
• If you’re a Make Me Yoga member, rejoice! Your membership will be extended by 20 days to make up for their 27 July-18 August closure :-)
• On Monday, Rasa Yoga Rive Gauche launched their Summer schedule. Many choices for your practice, as well as a Community class (12€) on Sundays.
• Samasthiti Studio’s August schedule highlights, as always, Ashtanga Yoga with classes Monday through Friday.
• In August, Studio Yoga République recommends contacting individual teachers about their classes. Check the schedule for details.
• Though they will be closed for a week in mid-August, you can practice at The YogaFactory from August 3rd through the 25th.
• Trini Yoga remains open in August with an abbreviated calendar of classes, and a scheduled closure from August 10th through the 18th. They have a special Summer carte découverte as well -- until the end of August, 35€ gets you three classes.
• Yoga & Co has conveniently broken up their August class schedule into digestible chunks: 29 July-4 August, 5-11 August, 12-18 August, 19-25 August, 26 August-1 September. Don’t forget to bookmark their Portes Ouvertes planned for the weekend of 31 August-1 September.
• Check Septième Ciel’s schedule for small group yoga classes with a view in Montmartre. Classes are just 10€ so sign up early to guarantee your spot.